Thursday, March 30, 2006

Cimarron NM to Texas




Heading east from Taos, NM. - I drove through Cimarron and stopped at the old St. James Hotel.

Its cast of notable characters include, Buffalo Bill Cody, Annie Oakley, Kit Carson, Jesse James, Wyatt Earp and Billy the Kid, among others.

Today the dining room (which used to be the old saloon) still has bullet holes in the pressed tin ceiling!








Later in the afternoon I stopped to visit Capulin Volcano, NM. At 8,200 ft I planned to just hike into the volcano, a quarter of a mile. I've never been in one before.

Later I decided to also do the mile hike around the rim. In the very center of this photo, the jeep is a dot in the small parking lot (looking north to Colorado).

The winds were blowing nearly 60 mph as I circled the rim. At times I had to hold on to scrubby trees that grow near the top!




As the sun was setting yesterday, I crossed the border into Texas. I could smell the oil and metal as these rigs were humming - slowly, steadily moving up and down.