Friday, March 24, 2006

Yale or bust!


I'm so excited. I've finally started my solo drive across America. I hope you'll join me.

I left San Diego at 9 a.m. yesterday and drove through miles and miles of farm lands of the Imperial Valley (where our salads come from).

There were so many plastic bags caught on farm fences, I pulled over and took photos of the more colorful ones.









I drove through parts of the Anza Borrego desert.








By mid afternoon I reached Quartzside, AZ. Down both sides of the dusty one road town, rock sellers have outdoor stores set up - hundreds of tables of rocks.

I talked with one owner and he told me most of the rocks come from Brazil.








When the sun started to set, I got my first good look at the Colorado River from Parker, AZ. The evening was warm, blamy and beautiful.








It was dark when I reached Lake Havasu, AZ. After I found a motel room, I drove to the London Bridge and just had to check things out.

I'd love to find a book or article today on the story of getting it out here in the middle of the hills and desert.