Friday, April 07, 2006

Graceland in Memphis




My next stop was Memphis. As a kid I never liked Elvis Presley. I thought he was greasy and dressed funny.

Now I find his music amazing and his life, well - pretty different than the ordinary.






Graceland got its name from the original owner whose Aunt Grace gave her the money to build the house as a wedding present. Elvis liked the name and never changed it.

I was suprised - rooms are small, halls are narrow and dark - it may have something to do with having so many walls and ceilings being fully covered with shag carpeting.







Other rooms like this TV room, was totally mirrored.










Several other large buildings on the estate have been turned into museums with acres of memorabilia, including his cars and planes.

The self guided tour was comprehensive, fascinating - and punctuated often enough with his music that it seemed all of us with headphones swaying to the beat, were easily transported back to somewhere in our past that was 'groovy' indeed.

"If ever there was music that bleeds - this is it". -Griel Marcus (in my high school class, M.A. '63)