Friday, April 14, 2006

Kudzu and killing



Leaving Nashville and driving east on two lane roads, I saw complete hillsides covered with kudzu (a vine from Asia).

One woman in a small grocery store, told me the cows love it so the farmers brought it in. Now it's gone wild and smothers everything. In the summer it turns green and everyone thinks it's beautiful.






Rural Tennessee has some great old cemeteries.
















I drove by a small taxidermy shop and decided to stop.











The owner Robert Williams was just starting to work on a wild turkey someone had brought in. He invited me into the back room and didn't mind that I watched the whole process.









Robert told me he's been doing this for 28 years after 2 years (part-time) of taxidermy school.

After about an hour of careful cutting, he hung the bird and snipped the last of the hide from the body.